Monday, August 20, 2007

Happy Birthday HeraldTrib!


Well, today’s it! One year. Whodathunkit?
On my birthday back in June, I had the happy news to report that the HeraldTrib made it into the Washington Post’s Sunday Source. On the HeraldTrib’s birthday, I have the happy news to report that this blog has made it onto a national journalism web site: Knight Citizen News Network, a web site aimed at informing and training citizen journalists.

The writer of that section is Arlington Oaks resident Wendell Cochran who teaches journalism at American University and has a journalism career that reaches back into the late 1960s and early 1970s. He was using the Buckingham Villages redevelopment as an example of a complex story a citizen might want to cover, when he came upon the HeraldTrib and gave me a call. (That was last Friday, August 17; we had never met each other before then. I’ll admit that I wish Mr. Cochran had found me sooner as I would have loved his feedback over the past year.)

I’ll toot my own horn a bit by reporting that while talking to me, he said he’d feel better about citizen journalism and blogging if all the sites looked like mine. (Thank you!)

And I have to thank everyone who reads the blog, especially those who have written emails, or posted comments at the end of the posts. I’m always surprised and happy when I go to an event or meeting and people tell me they read the blog. One of my neighbors told me that she prints it and gives it to some friends who don’t have a computer. That’s fantastic. So, thanks for sticking with me for a year, and for telling your friends about my site.

In the course of the year, I’ve posted over 100 times, but that’s a little misleading. When I first began to post, I only updated twice a week, so I posted two or three stories each time. I’m estimating I’ve posted a couple hundred stories about Buckingham and Arlington on the blog.

I thought I’d offer a few of my favorite stories from over the year, enjoy and thanks for reading:

August 2006
Why I do This
September 2006
The Price of Success
December 2006
Cooper’s Shmoopers
January 2007
Opening the Gates
March 2007
County Board Votes on Bham Villages
April 2007
Sparrow Pond Deluxe
June 2007
Affordable Apartments: Some Tenants Feel Harassed
Affordable Apartments: The Paperwork Hassle

Labels: ,


Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?