Wednesday, September 05, 2007

HeraldTrib Today, Sept. 5 2007

Welcome back to the regular year. At least for me as a professor and having kids in school, the real year starts now. Even that’s odd for me as I’ll be on sabbatical (it’s an official chance to rest and study) for this school year.

But we did get both kids off to K.W. Barrett Elementary School yesterday with all the hoopla that entails. For my daughter it was a new school (she went to F.S. Key School during kindergarten and first grade), but she slipped into the new school as though it were grandma’s house. My son started kindergarten, and though he cried a bit at 8:25 a.m., he was in good spirits when I retrieved him yesterday afternoon.

One friend of ours said that her boy, a kindergartener, had a really great day, “But I’m also sorry to tell you,” he said to his mom, “it’s also my last day of school.” It was just too long!

NBC4 television was on hand to cover first-day events around the region. In this photo, Tracee Wilkins, was recording teasers for the news show, something akin to: “It’s the first day of school and we’ll have full coverage at 5:00.” She said they’d already hit Washington-Lee High School and were out to Fairfax County soon enough.

The police came to N. George Mason Drive to nab afternoon speeders who did not pay attention to the flashing “School Zone” signs. This officer ticketed at least two people during the 10 minutes that I was on the grounds.

Make sure you check out all the stories from this week and late last week on the blog:

  • Buckingham Commons Rising from the Dirt
  • Police Notes for Buckingham
  • Board Candidate Ruebner to Meet-n-Greet in BuckinghamSept. 30 (mark your calendars). This is the first of what I hope will be a few more meet-n-greets. We’ll see what happens.
  • My Blasé Feelings at Bham Fest generated a couple good comments, so make sure you swing back to the story even if you already read it. Maybe I was just too tired to be out. Here's my post from last year. (It was one of my first posts, so forgive the look of the thing, please.)

  • Comments:

    Post a Comment





    << Home

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?