Thursday, November 29, 2007

HeraldTrib Today: Nov. 29, 2007

You may have noticed that I am not in much these days. I thought I would sneak away and catch up on reading and such during Thanksgiving Week, but that did not really happen--too much other stuff to take care of, including going with the family to Skyline Drive, where we saw this bear:


Then on Sunday, I came down with something that kept me in bed Monday, and on Tuesday afternoon I was shooting photos of the big trees coming down in Village 1:

What looks like the branches of a bush in the middle of this photo is actually the branches of the fallen tree. Click here to see a larger image.

But in my rush to bring you the best coverage of that day's work, I stepped in a hole and sprained my ankle (one of those where you hear and feel things grind and crunch). I remembered, after about 20 seconds of shooting a video with my cell phone, that the microphone was on, catching every curse and vulgarity I could spew as my ankle ached. I figured you didn't want to hear it, so no video.

One interesting thing about the tree coming down was the sound of the tearing as branches and roots broke, followed shortly thereafter by the smell of turned soil. The machines took the tree down in less than a minute.

Earlier today I shot this photo of some of the removed old-growth trees:

I also clicked this new view from the north side of the site. Last week, I wrote about seeing the trees and rear courtyard from the street for the first time in 60-odd years, now you can clearly see to The Chatham (high-rise in the background) and to the Arlington Oaks Community Center (the smaller, peaked-roof building in the foreground).

NO POLICE NOTES FOR BUCKINGHAM--two weeks in a row. Can we make it three?

One story since last week's update; scroll down to see it. The county has issued the Request for Proposals for the redevelopment of Village 3.

Labels: , ,


Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?